MALAGA, 291.5 m. (3,045 alt., 1,472 pop.), also a trading point
for farmers, is so named for the abundance of sweet wine grapes grown
near by. There is also a cotton gin here.
At 307.6 m. US 285 crosses the TEXAS LINE 52 miles north of
Tour 7 A
Española—Santa Clara Pueblo—Puyé Cliff Ruins. NM 5.
Española to Puyé Ruins, 11.5 m.
Graded gravel road.
Route parallels Denver, Rio Grande & Western Railroad for five miles.
Accommodations at Española.
This route to the Santa Clara Pueblo and Puyé Cliff Ruins goes
through the quiet low country and past the ranchitas of descendants of
Spanish colonials who in the sixteenth century wrested the land from
NM 5 branches south from its junction with US 285 in the western
end of ESPAÑOLA, 0 m. (5,600 alt., 625 pop.) (see Tour 7a), and
crosses a bridge over the bed of the Santa Clara River, 0.8 m., dry the
greater part of the year, but flowing in spring and during the rainy
season in July and August.
NM 5 passes the placita of Guachepangue 0.9 m., once an Indian
village with a small adobe chapel.
At 1.9 m. is a junction with a dirt road.
Left on this road to SANTA CLARA PUEBLO (obtain permission to photo-
graph from the pueblo governor), 0.3 m., on a low mesa above the west bank
of the Rio Grande. K'hapoo (Ind., where the water grows under) is the
native name of this Tewa-speaking settlement, which covers 17,369 acres of
land granted by the Spanish King and patented by the United States in 1864.
Their all-black pottery originated in Santa Clara is exceptionally good, the
traditional shapes are maintained, and little innovation has been introduced
in exterior decoration, the forms themselves constituting the intrinsic beauty of
bowls, ollas, and tinajas. When an automobile appears in the plaza the
women bring out their pottery and stand behind it while the visitor examines
and makes his choice. They are about the same size as most New Mexican
Indians, speak English, and are very courteous.
Archeologists verify the Santa Clara belief that their ancestors came from
the clusters of artificial grottoes of Puyé and Shufinne (see below). It is not
known when the pueblo was settled. A Franciscan missionary was assigned
to Santa Clara in September 1598, and the first mission was built between 1626
and 1629 by Fray Alonso de Benavides, who is credited with conversions among