Mountains. The surrounding mountains are rich in copper and a gold
strike is occasionally reported.
Directly south of the town (L) is the Lordsburg Airport, dedicated
by Colonel Charles A. Lindbergh in 1927.
US 70 crosses the ARIZONA LINE, 217 m., 3 miles east of
Ranchos de Taos—Mora—Junction US 85. NM 3.
Ranchos de Taos to Junction, 74.7 m.
Two-lane, graded gravel roadbed throughout.
Accommodations in Mora; places to camp out.
This route is noted for its magnificent vistas and panoramas, espe-
cially in the autumn, when the color is richer than at any other time
and there is snow on the mountains. It lies through forests and tiny
settlements, over mountain passes on an all-weather road, and past farms
and cattle ranches. The highest elevation of the road itself is 9,041 feet.
South of RANCHOS DE TAOS, 0 m., NM 3 traverses the Talpa
Valley, passing the home (R) of Dr. Gertrude Light, physician, well
known in Taos and the vicinity, 0.4 m. The village of LLANO
QUEMADO (burnt plain) is a settlement (R) named for the ruins
to the south excavated in 1920 by direction of the Smithsonian Institute.
Some anthropologists believe the Taos Indians lived here first. The
reredos from the church at Llano Quemado is now in the Palace of the
Governors at Santa Fe.
TALPA, 1.9 m. (458 pop.), is on the old Spanish land grant of
Don Cristobal de la Sena. NM 3 crosses the Rio Chiquito (little
river) for which the settlement was formerly named and passes the
private chapel of the Duran family, a small adobe structure built about
On a side road (L) near the highway lives Juan Pedro Cruz (born
about 1855), a village weaver whose handmade loom and spinning
wheel are still in use. Before machine-made blankets and carpets were
sold, he supplied the Taos Indians with most of their sarapes and the
surrounding villagers with the black, brown, and white checked jergas
(small rugs) with which they carpeted their dirt floors. He also wove
the white sabanillas used as foundations for the elaborately embroidered
colchas (bed spreads) now sought and prized by collectors of Spanish