Tour 18

Deming—Silver City—Glenwood—(Springerville, Ariz.) US 260.
Deming to Arizona State Line, 172,6 m.

Bituminous-paved road between Deming and point 16 m. beyond Cliff; else-
where two-lane graded graveled.

The Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Ry. parallels the highway (L) from
Deming to Silver City.

Good accommodations at major points along route.

US 260 north of DEMING, 0 m., courses through the Mimbres
Valley, a productive region adjacent to a highly mineralized area which
has always been the "promised land" for the inveterate prospector. As
the early home of the Mimbres tribe of Apache, it is also rich in history
and legend.

The mountains to the (R) of the highway are the COOK MOUN-
TAINS ; the highest peak at the southern extremity is COOK'S PEAK,
an old landmark for early travelers and drivers of the stage on the But-
terfleld Trail.

At 24.1 m. is junction with dirt road.

Right on this road is FAYWOOD (also known as Faywood Springs) 2.1 m.,
primarily a health resort where numerous hot mineral springs give water
said to be very beneficial for the treatment of infantile paralysis.

Near the Springs, a few miles eastward (R) on the desert is the
so-called City of Rocks, a rock formation which creates the illusion of
a metropolitan skyline.

The tiny hamlet of APACHE TEJO (pronounced Teho) is passed
at 34 m. In the environs were the Apache tejo (quoit) pits and an-
nually the champions of the several tribes would repair here to defend
their laurels. Fine springs are also located here.

HURLEY, 37.9 m., a company village owned by the Chino Mine
of the Nevada Consolidated Copper Company, is the site of the concen-
tration mill for the Santa Rita Mine. It is directly connected by rail-
road with Santa Rita.

The village consists of 125 company houses, an ore mill, a steam
plant, and several stores and mercantile establishments. Until 1934
when the Santa Rita Mine closed down, it was completely occupied, a
behive of industrial activity. With the recent reopening of the mine,
work here has been resumed, and the 1940 census shows a population of
1,321.

At 42.5 m. is the junction with NM 180 (see Tour 1A).

CENTRAL, 43.8 m. (1,759 pop.), because of its proximity to
old Fort Bayard and the present United States Veterans' Hospital grew
from a small settlement to its present moderate size.